In the last blog post, we talked about renovating to increase property value. In this article, we will investigate some important signs that a home may be more expensive to renovate than first glance suggests.
Every prospective home buyer or renovator has a list of features that they want in their house. A pool, open plan living, an office space, etc. But sometimes it is the plain and simple aspects of a home, like condition of the walls, that can mean the most when it comes to value of the property.
Here are a few things to check before you look at house size and layout:
- Are there any signs of subsidence? Look for cracks in the interior and exterior of the home.
- Similarly, are the windows and doors in reasonable condition? You should be able to open and close windows and doors without too much resistance. If not, this could indicate shift in the home.
- Is paint bubbling or peeling? This can be a sign of dampness in particular areas.
If the home has been recently painted, be careful as the paint may be masking something for a quick sale.
- Are there water stains or corrosion in bathrooms or laundries? Water penetration in these areas can be costly and will eat into profitability of the renovation.
- Mould in bathrooms or laundries shows poor ventilation and, depending on the severity of the mould, can be a health hazard.
- Condition of the flooring is another important factor. If there is carpet, do you know what is underneath?
- Consider the condition of heating and cooling systems as these can be costly to replace.
- Finally, consider the rooflines of the home from an external perspective as well as inside. Sagging or deflecting is a large red flag.
After you have inspected the home and ensured that there are no physical issues with the home, you should then consider some other hidden factors. Zoning, neighbourhood plans, and overlays can significantly impact your ability to alter your home. It is important to check these aspects to avoid being backed into a corner after purchase begins. Speaking to a Brisbane City town planner is a great way to understand your restrictions and areas for growth.
The most important aspect of your inspection checklist should be the building and pest inspection. While you can keep a wary eye open for the issues mentioned, a licensed building inspector possesses in-depth knowledge that will prevent you from buying a home with hidden costs.
After your purchase is complete and you are ready to proceed with your renovation, your first step should be to contact ACM Constructions. Our sought-after Design and Construct service can help you ensure that no detail is missed throughout the building process. ACM Constructions provides a dedicated project manager who will take you through the renovation process by handling all negotiations and organisation, but leaving design and style choice to you.
If you are ready to take the next step in your home renovation journey then contact ACM Constructions’ friendly team today.